#WeekendCoffeeShare: Flooding, Facebook, and First Days

If we were having coffee, I would first apologize profusely for my absence last weekend! I honestly forgot what day it was until sometime late Sunday afternoon, at which point it was far too late to write and publish a link-up. That’s honestly never happened before–well, the forgetting to post part, not so much the forgetting what day it is part, because that’s definitely happened before. But in all fairness, the last few weeks have been a doozy.

I keep making plans that get knocked down a bit as things change. I finished the summer semester in a whirlwind of grading and interviewing, and I found out about the job that next week. I wanted to spend my small break between summer semester ending and work on the fall semester beginning as a jump-start on some writing, but…Last week was bound up in working on syllabi for the semester, because (as always) I decided at the last moment that I wanted to change around the assignments for my courses.

And then large portions of the city flooded as we went into last weekend, and all thoughts of other things went out the window. We are fortunate in that we are in one of the more elevated portions of the city, so we only had a bit of flooding–the water was up to the edge of the sidewalk at its highest point. But much of the city was underwater there for a while, with some areas flooding as much as they did during Katrina. And even though the water has receded, there are still warnings and things are still in an upheaval, as we’re still getting some rain each day and now the Sewage & Water Board have admitted that 8 of the pumps weren’t working during the storm. Oy.

So, needless to say, last week’s plans for writing went out the window. I didn’t manage the coffee post and certainly not any other writing, but I’m here now!

*****

If we were having coffee, I would tell you that I deactivated my Facebook account yesterday.

If you know me and how much I social media, that’s probably a shock. For those of you who aren’t aware, though…Facebook and I have been good buddies for a while. I use it to keep up with old friends–being an extreme introvert (and a busy person), the social interaction there is easier for to manage on a consistent basis than phone calls or coffee dates. I also use it to procrastinate, though. I spend time and energy writing Facebook posts that may be entertaining and thought provoking–or even just silly–and that time and energy could be better spent writing something that I post here or as a guest on another site.

The bigger issue, though, bigger even than how much time I spend crafting posts that could be netting my own site views instead of adding to Facebook’s views, is the relationship that has developed between Facebook and my life outside of it. They bleed into one another, and not always in good ways. For one thing, if I’m in a manic or irritated mood, I am much quicker to engage in debate on FB and far less nice when I do so. I have little patience, and I’ve both said some unpleasant things and had lots of unpleasant things said to me–and of course when that happens, my mood plummets. I’ve noticed myself feeling keyed up during arguments with others online and spending far too much time and energy in those debates. When it comes down to it, they’re not productive (mind you, I am not saying that I don’t think dialogue on social media can affect change; I think it can, but there is a point at which the debate becomes counter-productive), and they are stressful.

So I spent the last few days blasting out my contact info to friends who I want to keep in touch with, and I started getting rid of the account by increments. I changed all my linked accounts, and then I deleted the app from my phone. (I subsequently tried to check it on my phone about 3 times in an hour, but hey, who’s counting?) Yesterday I officially deactivated the account. And although I did spend part of the afternoon looking at Twitter and Instagram, I get an entirely different feeling from them (because I have cultivated happy feeds) and spend far less time on them than I ever did on Facebook.

Now if I can just keep it that way…

***

If we were having coffee, I would tell you that the Little Jedi and I both start school this week. I spent all of this week in a flurry of activity preparing for that, so I haven’t written much, but hopefully I can get myself back to some sort of regular schedule once we both get settled in. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were full of faculty meetings for me, Thursday was mostly spent helping students with registration, and yesterday we carted school supplies up the 3 flights of stairs to the kiddo’s classroom and my office things up the flight of stairs to my new office.

The coming week will be full of things for us to do as we fall into the routine for a new semester. I’m teaching more classes than I’ve ever taught before, but for the first time I am a full-time instructor with my own office in which to work. Little Jedi is going into the 3rd grade, and it looks as though his classes are going to change quite a bit. With Sam working mostly from home now, all of our routines are changed from the way they looked last year, so it will be an adjustment!

*****

If we were having coffee, I would ask how you are, what you have been up to! And I’d promise to answer comments this weekend and to pop by for coffee and a chat with you, as I’ve felt terrible about missing you guys the last few weeks! ❤

Comments

Sorry to hear about the flooding, the world and it’s weather can be a crazy place. Well done on going cold Turkey on facebook…..definitely one of my procrastination apps! Made me think about deleting it.

Well done for deactivating your Facebook account. I am currently attempting to downsize my commitments so I can concentrate more on my blog, and unpublishing my Facebook pages is something I am seriously considering. I have dedicated so much time to them over the past few years though, that the decision to do so is proving hard to make. Great blog, by the way. 😊

Glad you’re all OK. Hope NO recovers quickly. Happy to hear about the job and the office. Congrats again. Also happy to hear about Facebook — I deactivated 2 years ago and deleted the accounts completely (now that you can — back then, you apparently couldn’t?) a few weeks ago. Welcome to a Facebook-free world. It’s nice here. 🙂

Wow, Diana, this has been a wild time in New Orleans. We have seen footage of all that water and heard about the political uproar. I know what you mean about writing for FB when you could be doing it on your own site. I am not deactivating but have set it at a lower priority since I got my job for all the reasons you mention. I don’t bother with much instagram, and like twitter, so they can stay they way they are, but FB does need some scrutiny. I am sure you will be fine without it. Thanks for hosting and coffee. Wishing the Big Easy a big drainaige and dry out.

I was wondering what happened to last weeks post 🙂
    I hope the Facebook experiment goes well — I’ve had to do a lot of intentional work on stepping away from arguments, un-following certain people, and reminding myself that it really isn’t worth my limited energy to engage in certain things. If so much of my social and business connections weren’t deeply tied to being on Facebook I might consider taking a step back. But, for me… so far… I’ve been able to convince myself to just step away from those draining parts. (oh, heads up, you still have the FB icon on your side-bar here, linking to your no-longer-existent page).
    Glad to see you back here and hope you find some renewed energy for writing!

I haven’t heard about the flooding in Australia but I feel for you. It must have brought back some dreadful memories for some. Well done with getting rid of Facebook. I haven’t gone quite that far but I rarely look at it and even more rarely post to it. I do like it as a means to keep up with family and friends that don’t live nearby. Good luck with the writing.

I haven’t been able to connect with Coffee Share for a few weeks I but get so many clicks on it I have written one anyway. I hadn’t heard about th,e flooding in New Orleans as the news media is so full with Trump story I not room for anything else. We had 3 /4 fires burning in southern Idaho that filled up the rest of the space. I glad you escape tHe worse of the floods. I haven’t had a F2F account since I was hacked and that has been several years now. I know it was bad when I deactIvated the account. I did the same with Twitter and haven’t look into instantgram. Glad to make connections again.

Hey, Linkers! In the Linkup thingy, the URL for your post goes in the first box, the name of the post in the second box. Just a tip, since I saw some that had the URL post in the LinkUp!

I’ve thought about deactivating FB too. I’m not on there a lot, but whenever I open that damn app I lose at least 30 to 45 minutes or more watching stupid videos! Everything it happens I feel awful like I have no control over myself. I prefer Twitter or Instagram where the post I am ready is usually either informative or artistic, not videos of people falling off of trampolines or clips from shows I don’t even watch.

But, my whole family is on there, plus a few support groups I’m a part of, and I like being able to browse local events and invite people to my own.

Glad to hear you avoided the worst of the flooding and I’m crossing my fingers you can find time to write again.

Thanks for the coffee 🙂